Curt and I met with the Radiation Oncologist today and were very impressed with him. Dr. Woo seems very thorough, which is a relief to us. As much as I had initially NOT wanted to do radiation, I knew that I would do whatever the dr. suggested. After Dr. Woo took note of my diagnosis, surgery, tumor size, lymph node involvement, family history, etc. he concluded that it would be in my best interest to do radiation as well. He said that with me being so young, generally the cancer is more aggressive compared to a post-menopausal woman. Typically, in the U.S., most dr's don't do radiation unless more than 4 lymph nodes tested positive for cancer (I had 2 positive). That's why I was so certain that I wouldn't have to do it. Dr. Woo told us of a study that has been done over in Europe and is showing that pre-menopausal women (with 1 or more positive nodes)are benefiting from radiation.
He also was questioning why our insurance company refused to pay for my BRCA testing (mutated breast cancer gene). He is almost certain that I will test positive for that gene, especially when I told him about all of the cancer on my dad's side of the family. So Curt and I are extremely glad that we saw Dr. Woo and feel that he will take great care of me!
The radiation won't start until about mid to late June. Dr. Woo also said that they will do a special type of radiation that will protect my heart and lungs. He said it's more expensive, but will "stick it to the insurance company that way, if they are going to refuse to pay for the genetic testing"! Radiation will be the typical Mon-Fri for 6 1/2 weeks and should have no side effects really...maybe some fatigue towards the end, he said. Hopefully my skin won't get too fried, but I'll deal with that if/when I have to.
I also met with my plastic surgeon today. We won't be able to do any more reconstruction until after radiation, which I figured. I talked to Dr. Boll about the bloating in my lower abdomen. She said it might be caused by something similar to a hernia...where she would just have to go in and tighten my muscles back up. It happens from time to time with a procedure like I had done. She will get my CT films of my abdomen/pelvis and see if that is what is causing the distention.
All in all, it was a busy but good day! It's good to know the plan now, instead of wondering what's going to happen.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Today's Update
Posted by Charlene at 8:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment