Jake, Ty, and Luke showing support for their mommy with their "Team Charlene" shirts.
**I am having trouble downloading the awesome pictures from Erica's blog, but you can go to hers to check them out (and read about her recap of the night).
I am still pinching myself this morning. Was the benefit and auction really that BIG of a success...or am I dreaming??
When we were approached about setting a goal for how much we needed to raise, I was a little apprehensive. I was afraid the goal was too high, even though it was, in all reality, how much my medical bills have set us back. I was afraid we were being greedy and asking too much. I already felt bad for the countless hours people were putting into this thing. It was hard for me to not feel that way.
But as Saturday evening approached, and so many people started showing up, I was overcome with so many different emotions. I was so humbled to see how effective our ward and community was when everyone pulled together. People kept telling me..."Feel loved, Charlene. All of these people are here for you.". It still brings tears to my eyes. Never in my life have I ever felt so much love. Love from my friends, ward, and even total strangers. We literally had hundreds of people there. Lines of people at the entrance waiting to buy tickets for the BBQ dinner! Curt and I were in awe. We could not believe how many people were there that we didn't even know! Friends of friends, and even people who were driving by, stopped to show their support for a great cause. Amazing.
If my cancer journey was necessary to bring a wonderful community together through this event, then it was totally worth it. I would do it all over again to feel the way I felt Saturday night. Everyone involved felt something special that night and I would absolutely do it all over again for all of us to experience those feelings of love, service, and compassion.
I am determined to not let that "torch" out. We have all been touched by this event and I am going to do what I can to continue to do things like this for others in need. Team Charlene will continue! We will continue to better the lives of other people. That is my mission at this time in my life. I have been greatly blessed through so many of you. I will never forget what this experience has taught me. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING! The only way I can repay you all, is to give to others as you have given to me.
Oh, and by the way, we DOUBLED our goal!! Since the auction brought in more than what is needed for our medical bills, Curt and I are so excited to be able to donate some money to other families in our community who are in need.

11 comments:
I cant even imagine how you must have felt, because I was on the edge of tears of gratitude the whole night. Thanks for letting us all be a part of this amazing night - WE LOVE CHARLENE!
It was an incredible night!!!!! It has restored my faith in mankind. You are a special person and I think the night showed you and everyone else how much you mean to all of us.
It was overwhelming. The out pour of love toward you family was the most inspirational thing I have ever experienced. Thank you for being my friend and great example to me and my family of courage, hope and humility. Love you.
Sorry I was so detailed and long winded on my blog post about the auction, but I am using this as my journal and going to have it made into a book, so I had to be thorough!! Didn't mean to steal anyone's thunder. :) I can email you all the pics I have if you want.
It definitely was amazing! Words cannot express how I felt,and I am sure you felt 20 times more than I did...
Glad I could be a part of it! You are the best! You deserve it!
Charlene, you have touched so many lives as you have gone through your "journey." Thank you and Curt for staying strong and for sharing your faith with us as you have gone through this huge trial! You have pulled people together in ways that I didn't know were possible. You've also helped us to understand that we can't take one moment of our life for granted, that we need to make the most of every minute. I hope you can always feel the love we have for you!
Tear, sniff...Charlene YOU are awe inspiring. You attitude and sense of direction amazes me. I would back you anytime for anything. I believe we all go through things for a reason, I think your taught me and so many I know a "Thing or Two". Thank you.
You are a GIANT in my eyes. Love your guts!
Charlene,
Just wanted to thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey! I can't even imagine how you must have felt to see and feel everyone's love and support for you and your precious family! I was amazed and so grateful to have been there! You have touched so many people in sooo many different ways Charlene. Your strength and faith alone has done wonders for me! I love you!!! Wendy
I am so glad the auction went well. We had sick kids and couldn't make it that night and it killed us not to be there to support. You are wonderful! You deserve every bit of it!
amazing! wish we could have been there. you are so blessed!!
That is absolutely incredible!
I'm sorry I wasn't apart of it, but I am so happy to hear what an amazing night it was!
Keep that "torch" burning!
Post a Comment