Monday, August 24, 2009

Update

I saw Dr. Schuster today. He did an ultrasound and said that he is about 95% sure that the cyst is benign. Anyone else, he would've said 99%. But for me, and my history/family history, you never know. I'm scheduled for a biopsy w/a radiologist on Thursday at 9am. Dr. Schuster said the cyst is really small (only 1/2 cm) and he doesn't want to risk the chance of missing it during a biopsy. So the radiologist will do an ultrasound-guided biopsy. Curt asked Dr. Schuster what they look for to determine whether it's cancer or not. He explained that, typically, cancer is taller than it is wide (my "cyst" is 0.5 cm wide, and 0.3 cm taller), it creates "shadowing" in the ultrasound, and that you can usually see finger-like things coming from it. The only concerning thing about mine is that it isn't round like most cysts. It is irregular in shape. I will be glad to know FOR SURE what we are dealing with. I do feel a little more at ease since talking to Dr. Schuster but won't be resting easy until they tell me that they are 100% sure that it is benign.

1 comments:

lacey said...

OH MY....You and your family will be in our prayers. Please keep us posted.