Wednesday, April 23, 2008

And Then There Were Four...

The Allen Family (1979 or 1980?)
In back...My dad, Craig, Carrie, Mom holding me
Front...Camille, Christie, Marcus holding the cat

Just when I thought the birthday festivities were for sure over, I got a package in the mail from my aunt up in Washington! In the box, along with some other things, was this picture she had taken of my family.

She wrote that she thought I "would like a copy of these photos because you're always in loving arms." After reading her note, I looked at the picture and felt such a comforting feeling as I looked at my mom holding me. How true my aunt is. I know that my mom has helped carry me through many tough days in my life, especially through this latest cancer journey. Although I've never actually seen her or felt her presense (yet), I have a lot of faith that she is doing more for me since her death, than she could ever have in mortality.

It's also strange to look at that picture and know that my brother Craig died (Cystic Fibrosis), my sister Camille died (Cystic Fibrosis), my sister Carrie died (Breast Cancer), and my mom died also (Colon Cancer)...and now I have breast cancer. I know this isn't typical or normal even, but I DO KNOW that our family has received countless blessings through these difficult times. I have to remind myself DAILY of the many blessings I have and to always remember that someone out there has it WAY worse than I do.

Moving on...with this last treatment of Taxol, I still didn't have nausea at all!! I have had a lot of bone pain, though, and have had to take Vicodin to relieve it. My pain has mostly been in my lower body...hips, knees, and feet...but today I'm feeling much better.

Tomorrow I go in for my Herceptin and a CT scan afterwards. My dr is just doing the scan as a precaution because I told him last week that my lower abdomen has been really bloated for a couple of months. No pain. Just bloated. He says it's probably nothing, but wanted to do a scan just to be on the safe side.

7 comments:

Owen said...

What a neat post Charlene. You are such a positive person and I know your mom is so poud of your strength. Glad you are my friend.

PS. GO SUNS!!! They need some good vibes right about now.

Candice said...

Wow! That was a tear jerker for me...in a good way. You have such an amazing way of turning things into postives...I sure admire that! It was nice to take a minute to think about the BIG picture. Thank you!

Donna said...

okay....i'll say it again "your AMAZING" I know your positive outlook is helping your body to be able to get through all this "stuff". You are such an inspiration to me and you are touching more people in ways that you may never be aware. I know i'm a better person for having you as a friend. Okay...on another note...how bout' those SUNS?? isn't it fun to see the game up close like that?? Love the half face picture of Kurt...you look adorable...so that's all that matters right?? :):)

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten all that you have been through before this latest adventure. Wow girl, this is "good book" material for us weaklings that need to learn how to live life better. You are writing a book? Right????

Pocketful of Posh Boutique said...

Have I told you lately, how Amazing you are? I'm so grateful to have you in my life. Your such a great teacher. I have learned to stop taking things for granted and stop whining. I know how you feel about being put up on a pedestal but that is exactly where you need to be. And about those Suns. They sure are making me a nervous wreck.

Pam said...

As I'm wiping away the tears all I can think about is how strong you are. How awesome is it that you know your worth and because of it you are made strong even when your body feels week.

Kim said...

you are so positive. i think back on your dads book a lot and think about all your parents went thru and wonder how they did it all.
your mom sounds absolutely amazing and i am glad that she made such a fabulous daughter!