Wednesday, July 9, 2008

9th Day of Radiation


We spent the holiday weekend in Snowflake at the cabin with Curt's parents. Besides the kids taking turns puking, and Jake's diarrhea, we had a great time! I love being able to get away from the daily distractions that we have and just really focus on spending good quality time with our kids. Jake was so worn out that he fell asleep while I was taking them for a ride on the 4wheeler! It was so cute.

I had last Friday off, due to the 4th of July, and this Monday their machine was down so my appointment was canceled for the day. Today marks the 9th radiation treatment. I saw Dr. Woo (radiation oncologist)yesterday and he said I have 25 treatments left...5 more weeks to go. And other than catching a flu bug the beginning of last week, I have been feeling good!

It's all going quite well, actually. The treatments are pretty quick, only taking about 15 minutes, and all of the ladies in that department are really nice. The only side effect so far that is bothersome is my sore throat. Dr. Woo said yesterday that if it gets worse I can either (a) take some liquid pain medication--(no thanks!) or (b) soften my diet until it heals--(shakes and smoothies from now on? Sign me up!!) My throat started getting sore last Friday. I had a feeling that it was due to radiation because it doesn't feel like your typical sore throat. I can drink liquids fine, but swallowing food is a little more uncomfortable. Oh well. I will deal with it.

We also got confirmation from our insurance company that they, indeed, will NOT cover my BRCA gene testing. Dr. Woo recommends that I have my ovaries taken out anyway, if I'm done having kids. As long as the oopherectomy is deemed medically necessary, we should have no problems with them covering that. The only problem with that is...I don't know if I'm ok with that. Since December 3rd, I have pretty much thought my chances of getting pregnant again were going to be slim, but I have still had a teeny bit of hope that...maybe it is possible? Am I crazy? Am I being selfish? I know how blessed I have been, to have been able to carry 3 babies, and have 3 healthy deliveries. I can't help but think how final it will be...not a chance in the world...to be able to get pregnant again some day in the future. *It didn't help that last night I had a dream that I was in the hospital, in labor, and about to deliver a baby! Curt and I both have always thought it would be an amazing experience to adopt some day, so I know we have that option. This surgery will have to be something that I continuously pray about so that I will know, without a doubt, what I should do. Dr. Woo told me yesterday that there is no rush to do this surgery. That was a relief to hear because now I feel like I can take my time to decide.

According to him, if I did have the BRCA testing done and if it were positive, there's "only about a 67% chance of getting cancer in the ovaries" and that usually doesn't happen until later on in life. I think a 67% chance is pretty high when we're talking about my life!

I think what I need to do is look more into a grant or something that will pay for the test. I feel like I need to have that test done, not only so that I can know for sure for myself, but for my sister Christie, Ashlie and my other 3 little nieces, my aunt Barb, and my boys because they could be at risk, too.

10 comments:

Pocketful of Posh Boutique said...

Have I told you lately how much I admire and respect you. Your the most grateful, humble and toughest person I know. Just keeping praying about it and you will have an answer. He works that way you know.

Owen said...

You are such a sweetie. We will keep you in our prayers (as always). Glad things are going ok. Is summer over yet?

Stacey said...

You are so awesome! What a great mom you are. I am so glad to hear how well you are doing. I love the pic of you and the boys. Luke is soooo handsome- (Definatly proud to say that he was Hayden's first kiss!)

Melissa and Trevor said...

Hey let me know if you go to a smoothie diet. I have a Jamba Juice gift card and have no plans on using it- it is yours if you want it!

Shannon and Jimmy said...

Selfish is not a word that describes you.

Alayna said...

How much are the t shirts?

Stephanie said...

You are incredible, Charlene! We will keep you in our prayers as you face all of these difficult decisions. And anytime you have a craving for a shake or smoothie, let me know. I'm at Sonic far too often and would love to pick a drink up for ya!

Donna said...

Charlene....so glad your hanging in there. Your amazing...as usual. Hey if you need a partner to start the "smoothie" diet with you....you have my number.:):) Feels like I haven't seen you in forever....praying for you....as always. I know you will make the right decisions....you'll just know! Miss ya!

PS Where can I get a t-shirt? CUTE!:)

Kim said...

Awww {{{{{hugs}}}}}} you aren't selfish, you are a great mom who isn't sure she is done. I'm so sorry your choices are so harsh.
How crazy is the test priced at? I know you have an amazing support and maybe a little fundrasier could get that done. I'd love to donate and help out!

Charlene said...

You gals are all so sweet. I appreciate all of your encouraging words.

Donna, if you want a shirt, I can get one to you. Just let me know what size!

And, to answer your question Kim, the genetic testing would cost me around $3000.00! We have some friends who are actually doing a silent and live auction for our family next month. I will have to put that info on my next post. Thanks for offering to help, though! I miss you guys!

:) Charlene