Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Decisions...Decisions...and Risk Factors

I've been doing a lot of soal-searching, praying, comparing pro's and con's, etc...in regards as to whether to keep my ovaries...or to have them removed. I have felt more encouraged and more at peace with doing the surgery.

I think no matter what, I will always be sad to be done having babies (biologically). But... I get VERY excited when I think about the possibility of adopting some day. It is an amazing feeling when I think about the chance to give another child a home where they will be loved, when they might have otherwise grown up without that. There was a commercial on tv the other day ( www.azfamily.com/areyoumyfamily ) that got me thinking more about this possible option for us.

I came across this list of risk factors today when I was doing some cancer research online. After reading FAMILY HISTORY, it was even more apparent to me that I am definitely at great risk for developing ovarian cancer in the future (with Mom's colon cancer...and...Carrie's breast cancer).

I copied the list of risk factors for anyone who might be interested in learning more.

What factors increase the chance of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer?

The following factors have been associated with increased breast and/or ovarian cancer risk. It is not yet known exactly how these factors influence risk in people with BRCA1 or BRCA2 alterations.

Age—The risk of breast and ovarian cancers increases with age. Most breast and ovarian cancers occur in women over the age of 50. Women with an altered BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene often develop breast or ovarian cancer before age 50.

Family History—Women who have a first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) or other close relative with breast and/or ovarian cancer may be at increased risk for developing these cancers. In addition, women with relatives who have had
colon cancer are at increased risk of developing ovarian cancer.

Medical History—Women who have already had breast cancer are at increased risk of developing breast cancer again, or of developing ovarian cancer. Women who have had colon cancer also have an increased risk of developing ovarian cancer.

Hormonal Influences—Estrogen is naturally produced by the body and stimulates the normal growth of breast tissue. It is suspected that excess estrogen may contribute to breast cancer risk because of its natural role in stimulating breast
cell growth. Women who had their first menstrual period before the age of 12 or experienced menopause after age 55 have a slightly increased risk of breast cancer, as do women who had their first child after age 30. Each of these factors increases the amount of time a woman’s body is exposed to estrogen. Removal of a woman’s ovaries, which produce estrogen, reduces the risk of breast cancer.

Birth Control Pills (
Oral Contraceptives)—Most studies show a slight increase or no change in breast cancer risk in women taking birth control pills. Some studies suggest that a woman who has taken birth control pills for a long period of time, and began taking them at an early age or before her first pregnancy, has a small increase in her risk for developing breast cancer. In contrast, taking birth control pills may decrease a woman’s risk of ovarian cancer.

Hormone Replacement Therapy—A woman’s risk for developing breast cancer may be increased by hormone replacement therapy (HRT), especially when it is used for a long period of time. Doctors may prescribe HRT to reduce the discomfort from symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes. Some evidence suggests that women who use HRT after menopause may also have a slightly increased risk of developing ovarian cancer. HRT may have positive health effects as well, such as lowering a woman’s risk of heart disease and osteoporosis. These protective effects diminish after a woman discontinues therapy. The risks and benefits of HRT should be carefully considered by a woman and her health care provider.

Dietary Fat—Although early studies suggested a possible association between a high-fat
diet and increased breast cancer risk, more recent studies have been inconclusive. It is not yet known whether a diet low in fat will lower breast cancer risk.

Physical Activity—Studies of the relationship between physical activity and breast cancer have had mixed results. However, some studies suggest that regular exercise, particularly in women age 40 and younger, may decrease breast cancer risk.

Alcohol—Alcohol use may increase breast cancer risk, but no
biological mechanism for the relationship between alcohol and breast cancer risk has been established.

Environmental Factors—Exposure of the breast to ionizing
radiation, such as radiation therapy for Hodgkin’s disease or other disorders, is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, especially when the exposure occurred at a young age. Evidence for the effect of occupational, environmental, or chemical exposures on breast cancer risk is limited. For example, there is some evidence to suggest that organochlorine residues in the environment, such as those from insecticides, might be associated with an increase in breast cancer risk. However, the significance of this evidence has been debated. Scientific research is currently in progress to study the effects of various environmental factors on breast cancer risk.

Where can people get more information about genetic testing for cancer risk?

A person who is considering genetic testing should speak with a professional trained in genetics before deciding whether to be tested. These professionals may include doctors, genetic counselors, and other health care workers trained in genetics (such as
nurses, psychologists, or social workers). For more information on genetic testing or for help finding a health care professional trained in genetics, contact the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Information Service (CIS) at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237) (see below). The CIS can also provide information about clinical trials (research studies with people) and answer questions about cancer.

3 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I've been following your journey for a little while now and wanted to leave you a comment.

First, you are amazing and strong and just wonderful! Second, I cannot imagine what you are going through and what a hard decision this must be for you. Third, I have to put a plug in for adoption as I'm a huge adoption advocate. Adoption is a wonderful option! It is a miracle that you get to be a part of-a very humbling experience. There are so many little ones around the world that need and long for a family.

I know you will make the right decision for you. You are an amazing example to us all. Hang in there and know many are praying for you.

Lila King (used to be one of the Harrison's that lived in Cameron, Missouri for a short while)

Alayna said...

Personally, with your family history I think the surgery would be wise. Prevention is big. I would much rather see you happy and healthy and able to be with your children...but that's just because I love you!

Me said...

I will keep you in my prayers! I have often regreated that I can't have babies-BUT at the time I prayed & it was the answer I got! Even if I don't understand now the Lord knows us! You are wise to realize you can adopt & do the prevention! Our Heavenly Father will provide blessing in his time and way!Luv Ya! Really you are so amazing!XOXO Jess