Monday, August 17, 2009

I Kinda Had a Feeling...

Last week, when I had my mammogram and ultrasound, I sorta had a feeling that they spotted something. The tech did my mammo on both the R and L sides and showed me that the dr. had ordered an ultrasound "if indicated"....meaning, if needed. So I was thinking, SWEET!! I could get outta here sooner than I had thought.
Well, after she came back in the room from checking w/the Radiologist to see if she had enough pictures, she informed me that he had wanted her to take some more images of my L breast. I began wondering....trying not to jump the gun and get all worked up. It was when she came back into the room the second time, after once again checking w/the Radiologist, that she informed me that they would go ahead with the ultrasound. I don't know if it's the nurse in me or the paranoid skeptic that I tend to be, but I immediately saw red flags. I haven't let any of this consume my thoughts.
That is....until today.
Early this evening, my oncologist called me. I knew right away, as soon as I saw the caller ID, that they were going to tell me my results weren't normal. He said that the ultrasound showed something irregular, a seemingly benign cyst, on my L breast (which is the side that the cancer was on). He said an aspiration of the cyst was recommended, but he would fax this report to my surgeon, Dr. Schuster, to get his opinion on what should be done. I will have to wait and see what Dr. Schuster recommends, but I will most definitely insist on a biopsy. It might turn out to be nothing (I hope and pray!), but I can't help but wonder. I never had cysts in my breasts before. Ovaries, yes. Breasts, no.
So, I will do my best to remain calm until I know for sure what is going on. My mind is racing and all sorts of thoughts consume me at this point, but it would just come across as jibberish if I try to type it out. Hopefully this waiting game won't be long and drawn out so that we can move past this and get on with our lives once again.

4 comments:

Owen said...

Char,
You will be in my prayers and in my thoughts.

Natalie said...

i'm so sorry you have to go through this! we're praying for you. hope you're holding up okay. love ya!!!

Candice said...

I hate it when you have to worry! UGH! Let me know if you feel like stuffing those worries with food...I'm so there for you.

Stacey said...

Charlene- I am so sorry. Praying that everything is ok.