Friday, September 11, 2009

New Doctor

We met with my new oncologist this morning!
Dr Obenchain is very calm, soft spoken, and very thorough. I didn't feel rushed at all with her...and she gave me a hug before I left :) She spent quite a bit of time with us, writing down my past medical history, family history, current complaints, etc. She then did an exam and discovered that my thyroid is enlarged. That was news to me. She understood my concern for my achey body, but as far as my symptoms go, she doesn't think it is caused by cancer in the bones. She wants to do a PET scan, MRI of the brain, and a panel of blood work that will check my thyroid, an arthritic panel, as well as the usual CBC and CMP. She isn't too concerned about my headaches, but knows that I will be more at ease if I know for sure that all is well. I told her that I constantly have the nagging thought that I will end up like my sister Carrie....by the time we found out that her Stage 2 breast cancer was back, it was already in her brain, bones, lungs, and liver.
Needless to say, I am very happy with my doctor!
I feel comfortable with her and confident that she really is concerned for me. I will follow up with her on Sept 28th...by that time, she should have all of my test results. I am so sick and tired of dr's appts and tests, but I hope this latest round of tests will finally put some of my fears to rest. Once we get the results, she will then figure out the best treatment plan/medication for me to help combat my depression/anxiety without affecting the Tamoxifen.
My only regret is not switching to her SOONER!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I can't image how it must be to have this constant thing weighing on you without ever being able to put it aside for good. I really, truly hope that one day soon you will be able to do just that and keep on living your life free of this business.

Trisha said...

Oh Char...I'm so glad you like her. You're always in our prayers.